Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Why the 21-day fix works for me and becoming a Beachbody coach is just not for me

I've been back and forth on whether or not I wanted to write this, make it public, put my opinion out there but I've had enough people ask me "what's your secret" to feel like it was warranted to put my words in writing.

I've done two "rounds" of the 21-day fix since March 2015.  I have lost a total of 15 inches and 10 pounds since I began logging all of that information.  I am down 2 dress sizes and 20 pounds since I began my weightless journey in January and I do attribute a lot of that to the portion control and overall nutrition information I learned while doing the 21-day fix.  And that is why I think this  program works for me.  Yes, I've done weight watchers in the past and they helped a little bit with portion control but they were lacking the exercise element.  The 21-day fix combines both -- clean eating with manageable exercise.  It was easy to tailor recipes we loved to what was "allowed" and I didn't really have to change my eating habits -- I was actually eating MORE during the times that I followed the plan strictly.
Post workout check-ins with my challenge group

When you purchase the 21-day fix from the beach body website, you receive a coach.  Now, I purchased it from someone I knew so she became my coach.  One of the great things about this support system is that you take your beginning measurements and before pictures and send all of that jazz away to them for safe keeping and then don't step on the scale or bust out the measuring tape until you are all done with the challenge.  You're actually discouraged from weighing-in which was certainly freeing.  The coaches create online groups (in our case through Facebook) to help keep you accountable and motivated.  You rely on the other people in your group to keep you going so it's a nice little support network.

If you don't sign up through someone that you know, you're assigned a random coach.  These coaches aren't entirely random though.  They're coaches who are at the "Emerald" status in the Beachbody world so they are earning more money off of your purchase.  If you want to hear more about it, this gentleman has done extensive research.  I'm not going to get into the logistics behind it but Beachbody/21-Day Fix is a multi-level marketing organization and that's part of the reason why I would never become a coach.
The other reason I don't think I could ever become a coach is because of Shakeology.  The first time I did the fix I bought the one month supply of Shakeology that you're encouraged to drink while going through the challenge.  Don't get me wrong, it actually tasted pretty good and I'm sure the nutrients in it helped with the weight loss, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on protein powder and as a Beachbody coach that's one of the big things that they push you to sell.  The second time I did the fix I used the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey powder and achieved similar results so I don't think it's a make or break for being successful.

Here's the bottom line: I think the 21-day fix works.  I've seen the proof with my own two eyes and can feel the difference from the program.  I think it's a great tool to keep your portions in check and make sure you are eating a balanced diet in addition to providing you with the exercise tools you need to reach your goals.  It is completely sustainable and manageable for a busy mom working a full-time job.  However, I do not think it's necessary to jump on the Shakeology bandwagon in order to get the results you are looking for.  I feel like you can save your money and skip the shakes.  I was a little turned off by how much the product is pushed during little infomercials on the workout videos, but I just fast forward through them now.

I would absolutely recommend doing the 21 Day Fix if you're looking for a way to lose weight and gain muscle that is healthy and sustainable, but I don't endorse the need to buy in to Shakeology.  And on a funny/ironic note...I just received this glorious package from my coach for all of my hardwork in our challenge group.  I'll let you know how the 3-Day Refresh works out when I decide to take that plunge and I'm also really excited for the FIXate cookbook (does that make me a hypocrite?).

No comments:

Post a Comment