Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A Very Quick Four Years

August 19th, 2011


Four years ago, on a very hot and humid day in Allentown, Pennsylvania I married the love of my life.  It's so crazy to think that it's only been fours years -- but in the same breath -- those have been four very quick years.  We've been through a lot during that time.  We made a handsome, intelligent little nugget during that time.  We fought during that time and we made up during that time.  Marriage isn't glamorous and it certainly isn't easy, but if you're willing to work for it, both of you are willing to work for it, it can be the most rewarding thing.

In May I had the honor of doing a reading at one of my close friends' wedding.  I was standing in the checkout line of Old Navy when she texted me a link to the poem and there, in the checkout line of Old Navy, I balled my eyes out reading this beautiful poem that I would then subsequently tear up reading another three or four times -- including on her wedding day.  I thought it would be appropriate, on my fourth wedding anniversary, to leave you guys with this heartfelt poem that I had the honor of reading for a couple that I have had the pleasure of watching fall in love.

Union

by Robert Fulghum
You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.
The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”
Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.
For after today you shall say to the world –
This is my husband. This is my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment