Thursday, July 16, 2015

Beginning my fitness journey

Back in the beginning of January I was asked by a coworker to sign up for the Mudderella.


The Mudderella "courses are 5-7 miles and include 12 -15 obstacles. It's a true athletic challenge, designed to test all-around fitness."  Having never even completed a full mile run, I was super apprehensive, but decided there was plenty of time to train for it (our run was May 9th).  So the end of January is when I began my new fitness journey to get me in shape for this obstacle course race.

I began hitting the treadmill to work on my endurance.  When I was in middle school, I was diagnosed with asthma.  As an adult I rarely had asthma attacks, but I also rarely exercised so I wasn't quite sure how I would be able to handle the training.  Fortunately for me I had access to a weight room at the high school I teach at, a certified fitness coach/body building competitor (one of my coworkers), and a marathon runner (another coworker/friend/the one who dragged me into this).  With their help I knew I would be able to complete this "race".

We started training during the last week of January.  It was midterms at the high school so we were working on a half day schedule.  This meant I could hit the weight room at 12pm and still be showered and ready to pick up my son from daycare long before 4pm.  I started slow on the treadmill.  Just alternating between walking and running until I was able to run the full mile without stopping.  We would work out 3-5 times a week, beginning with a cardio for 35-45 minutes and then weight training two body parts a day.  By the time the Mudderella rolled around, I was in the best shape I have ever been in.


No comments:

Post a Comment