Saturday, September 6, 2014

Classroom Makeover Part 1

First off, let me start this post with some background information.  I've been teaching at KHS for 6 years now.  When I first started out I was sharing a classroom with Bea, an English teacher.  We were in a bright and beautiful brand new classroom with orange walls and turquoise accents.  It was bright and cheerful and had built in closets and everything was shiny and new.  Flash forward a year and I was relocated to what we have dubbed "The Ghetto Room".  Logistically it made more sense because most of my classes were in that room and my new roommate was the other Special Ed math teacher (Wendy)....however, the room was one of the oldest in the building and it showed!  Well two years later and many many many garbage cans full of old materials, this is what the room looked like.


Yup, those are chalk boards!!  I went from beautiful new white boards only --- to chalk! UGH!

This was our little supply area....as you can see, it's a disaster.

And here's my desk....a bit more organized, but still not very pleasant.

Wendy and I refer to our room as "The Ghetto Room" because the first row of lights only work sometimes and their switch is opposite of the other two sets of lights.  Our heater is missing a panel and usually sounds like it's about to explode.  The smartboard randomly turns off...Now, I should also state that I teach in a very affluent area and our district is actually one of the top 10% in the state.  It's really just that we are in the oldest classroom in the building.  We also refer to our room as "The Island of Misfit Toys" because other teachers tend to send their students to us for some unknown reason or kids are constantly stopping by on their way to the nurse/main office/gym and for the most part we welcome them with open arms.

Our room is slowly transforming into something more appealing.  Every year I ask for another piece to make the puzzle a little nicer.  Two years ago it was a large black wardrobe so that we could finally hang our coats up in the winter (yea...being the oldest room in the building means no storage WHATSOEVER).  Last year we got a huge bulletin board for the front of the room to start posting important information, class contracts, etc.  And this year...we're moving up in the world and getting a whiteboard!!!!  

Once our whiteboard is hung, I'll take updated photos and give you a better tour.  We still have the ugly old desks (I was told there isn't money in the budget for new ones) and our lights still don't work 100% of the time...but it's coming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment