Monday, February 17, 2014

First Month Must Haves

So now that we have one whole month under our belts...here's what helped get us through those first few weeks:
1. Boppy - In the hospital when we were just starting out breastfeeding I just used pillows, but on the last day there I decided to give our boppy a try and man does it make BFing easier.  I would also recommend getting multiple covers for the Boppy.  Bean is a little bit of a messy eater so the cover sometimes winds up soaked.
2. Graco Pack 'n Play with Newborn Napper Deluxe - We keep this on the main floor of the house and have found the the newborn napper portion (which vibrates) has really helped us get stuff done on the first floor, like making/eating dinner.  Bean hangs out in there and sometimes takes his naps in there.
3. The Cloud B Sleep Sheep - This little guy hangs out by Bean's crib and only gets used at night when we put Bean down for the evening.  We like the heartbeat setting and like that it turns itself off after 45 minutes.
4. Carter's zip-up sleep & play - I wish every piece of clothing we had for Bean was a zip up sleep and play.  They're perfect for nighttime or hanging around the house during the day.  We also have these in snap up, but the zip ups are so much better for overnight when you have one eye open and are changing a diaper. 
5. Philips AVENT translucent pacifiers - We didn't bring any pacifiers to the hospital with us (which was a huge issue) but found that Bean likes these pacifiers over the soother kind (he spits the soothers right out).  Bean is a comfort sucker so when he's done at the boob he gets a binky to put him to sleep.
6. Munchkin Waterproof Changing Pad Liners (3 Pack) - These have been the biggest lifesavers when there are poopsplosions in the middle of the night.  Rather than having to completely undo the changing pad, I just pull the liner off and throw it in the hamper and put a new one on.  We only had one set of three until there was an evening where we went through all three liners making me scramble to do laundry -- now we have 6 of them.
7. MAMA 2-pack Nursing Tops - MAMA is H&M's maternity brand.  I love their nursing tank tops and nursing t-shirts.  They're affordable and not super baggy so I don't feel like I'm still pregnant wearing them.
8. Up & Up Breast Pads - I like these Target brand disposable nursing pads.  They came in a box of 60 and were cheap.  They're perfect for me at home but I think I will upgrade to better ones for when I go back to work because you can see the outline of these through my shirts.
9.  Medela 50pk Pump & Save Breastmilk Storage Bags - During the first two weeks postpartum I was pumping up a storm because Bean and I were having issues breastfeeding.  These bags were awesome to get my frozen supply going.  They have an adapter the hooks right up to the pump and you hang the bag on them.  Easy peasy.
10.  Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump On-The-Go Tote - This is the pump that was covered by my insurance and the one my coworker uses so I knew it was good.  This set comes with extra parts which is amazing and both 24mm and 27mm flanges.  My coworker gave me a heads up that I probably need the bigger size (thanks mom for the well-endowed genes) so I bought a set without realizing there was one in the kit but it's not an issue - extra parts are always welcome.

And there ya have it...my must haves for the first month post partum.



No comments:

Post a Comment