Thursday, January 23, 2014

Skin to skin (Birth Story Part 2)

After Tripp came out and was happily screaming away the nurses brought him over to the newborn table to get unofficial measurements and clean him off so we could have some skin to skin time.

It was so unreal to have them place this beautiful and perfect little boy onto my chest.  Everything I had just been through could not have prepared me for the rush of love I felt for that little guy.  I'm still in awe that he is actually here and not just an extension of my belly.

We got to have some bonding time and attempted to breastfeed while I got stitched up and delivered the placenta and they did some quick cleaning of the area.  Then Tripp and daddy went up to the nursery for his first real bath, official measurements, and footprints.  By the time the boys were done it was time for me to make my way to the recovery room.

When we were all settled in, we tried breastfeeding again.  Tripp didn't take to it like the champ I hoped he would be but we stuck with it and tried a bunch of different holds and positions to get him to latch.  He finally did and there was a knock at the door - both sets of grandparents and Aunt Lizzy were there to see our sweet boy.  This was the beginning of the end of shame.  I told them that I don't care if they don't care and everyone came in while Tripp was eating away.  I have come to learn that it's no big deal if people see my son feeding on my boobs - it's a fact of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment