Sunday, August 7, 2011

To fan or not to fan...that is the question

As beautiful and wonderful as the chapel is at Muhlenberg....there's a minor downfall....no AC.  The chapel is all dark stone and stays relatively cool but can heat up if it's a particularly warm day and the chapel is packed.  This presented a bit of a predicament for us.   So we put on our thinking caps and I scoured the internet and decided to make fan programs.  These are super common for outdoor weddings so why not benefit from them indoors?

Well....the next question becomes what type of fan....did you even know there were different kinds of fans?  We thought, why not check out oriental trading

These seemed nice enough but when I read the reviews I learned that they're not all the same size.  I thought that would be tacky so we threw that idea out the window.

Then we considered these types of fans in purple.
But, again, terrible reviews about how in a box of 12, only 1 would be usable....bleck!
We took a run at Amazon.com to see if they had anything workable.  And HUZZAH! They did!  These Wilton fans were DIY and printable so we could print our programs right on them...but, alas, they were out of stock and amazon didn't have an estimate of when they'd be back....With just over two weeks left, we weren't willing to take the risk.  So it's back to scouring the net for something DIY.
And that's when I came across these DIY programs found here: Aylee Bits

They're big enough to hold all of our program information (something that we wouldn't have been able to do on the paddle fans) and relatively easy to assemble.  We used my Staples gift card that I got from working the summer program last year to purchase the ivory cardstock and our Amazon Prime account got us the Crop-A-Dile all purpose eyelet setter and stamper for nearly half the price they charge at the craft stores (and free 2 day shipping) and I found purple grommets!  I just need the ok from the dude on the design and from our priest that my information is all accurate and these should be done by the end of the week.  I'm not looking forward to having to cut them all out but I think with a little help from friends, these can be beautiful and functional!

No comments:

Post a Comment