Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Come on sweet catastrophe

So I've been slacking off when it comes to the blog world.  In my defense, Bobby and I went on a roadtrip down to South Carolina (which I will blog about later) from Wednesday to Sunday and I just haven't had the energy to blog about it.  But for this post I must go back, way back, to Friday, August 13th.

This year Bobby and I got each other some pretty fantastic anniversary gifts.  For him, two tickets to NYCBrewfest.....for me, tickets to Something Corporate's 10 year reunion tour.  OMG squeal like a little girl!  To start this off, I should fill you in on my history with Something Corporate.  I was introduced to them back in 2001/2002 with the Ready...Break album followed by Leaving Through the Window.
Anyhoo.....in 2003 I was so super obsessed that I followed them over the course of a week and a half.  I saw them in Boston, DC, Philly, NJ, and NYC.  I have several signed ticket stubs and for a while Andrew (the lead singer) was my voicemail message so you can imagine my delight when Bobby surprised me with these tickets.  Around 2005, SoCo dropped off the planet....actually, Andrew was diagnosed with Leukemia and Will decided to start his own side project.  During Andrew's treatment and recovery he started writing again and formed Jack's Mannequin.  Last fall, SoCo released a YouTube video explaining that they were coming back and playing at the Left Coast Bamboozle....sadface for living on the East Coast....so again, this was pretty monumental to get these tickets.
The show was being held at Roseland Ballroom, a total throwback to the end of high school/start of college.  Bobby and I drove into the city and decided to use up our last $25 gift card to Heartland Brewery (thanks to them messing up at Brewfest and us not being able to redeem our free hamburger).  It was clear that he had never done this before as I suggested getting on line around 5 for the 7:30 doors. As we walked to the venue (around 6pm, mind you) I reminisced about other concerts I'd been to at Roseland, the time I stood on line in the pouring rain to see Brand New there, my first encounter with Romy at the New Found Glory concert, and the friends I made travelling with SoCo (I met a girl who was always first on line because she got there at 11am).

We got to the start of the line and I felt old.  Most of the people standing on line were just starting their rebellious years of sneaking out to shows and riding the bus into the city when you told your parents you were staying with a friend.  I was a bit shocked by the crowd and it wasn't until we were standing just outside the stage door and Andrew walked right in front of us and no one around seemed to realize it was him, that I felt it was time to officially hang up my Cons and star studded belt for life as a grown-up.

Don't get me wrong...the concert was amazing and I totally geeked out but I think those days are over.  I'll just rock out to my iPod when I want to re-live those years again.

1 comment:

  1. You are never too old for cons and a star studded belt. Rock them if you want to :)

    ReplyDelete